Friday, August 6, 2010

MERGE featured artist Jennifer Ghromley

Jennifer Ghormley (‘02, art) is this Friday’s featured MERGE artist. The MERGE: 2010 Metro State Alumni Exhibition runs through Aug. 18 at the College’s new Center for Visual Art. Alumni who wish to join the CVA get a 20% discount through that date. For more info on MERGE, click here.

.

Equipped with both a BFA and an MFA, which she received in printmaking from the University of Nebraska in Lincoln, Ghromley currently teaches at Metro State and is the studio manager of Anderson Ranch Print Editions at Anderson Ranch Art Center, Snowmass Village, Colo. She also shows her work through national juried exhibitions and invitations.

Ghormley employs a variety of techniques in her translation of ideas into works of art, including using her body. “Making work about being here in the body, I dissect and reassemble my own form in expressive ways, to universalize the female body as a generic representation of humanity,” she wrote in a recent email. The Office of Alumni Relations recently caught up with Ghormley to chat a bit about her experience at Metro State and her participation at MERGE.

Metro State: How would you characterize your art?
Jennifer Ghormley: Sometimes I feel like the outsider may view my work as all over the place visually. I utilize printmaking techniques, photography, fabric, stitching, really whatever I feel like the work is telling me it needs, and I have a consistent color palette. My work is about the body, in both a personal and universal context.

MS: Tell me about your latest work and why you are inspired by it.
JG: For this body of work I was interested in juxtaposing figurative silhouettes with decorative imagery. These pieces have their own intimate spaces, full or decadence and intriguing detail. Working with the figure is both a personal and universal expression.

MS: In what ways did your Metro State professors influence your work?
JG: My professors pushed me to make more/better/different. This instilled in me a strong work ethic and never-ending desire to keep making work, keep creating and pursuing that which I am passionate about.

MS: How has your work evolved since you graduated?
JG: After my graduation from Metro, I went to on graduate school at University of Nebraska - Lincoln. The intense pressure of graduate school pushed me and my art to new levels and heights. I graduated top in my class, and received the Francis William Vreeland Graduate Award and the Thomas P. Coleman Memorial Award for my creative research.

MS: Tell me why you submitted the pieces that you did for MERGE.
JG: I wanted to show my newest work because I still feel a little unsettled about it. I feel like this body of work is the current culmination of various elements I have been working with for a while. But there is always more to make, more to explore. I think it is good practice for an artist to constantly challenge herself, work outside of the comfort zone that we try to hard to find.

MS: How do you feel about this opportunity to present your work for Metro State’s new I CVA facility?
JG: I feel honored and excited about the CVA's new space. I am sad I will be out of town for the opening of the MERGE exhibition.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment