Monday, November 1, 2010

From College to Career: Alumna April Abernethy

By April Abernethy, Metro State Alumna, 2009

As a freshman at Metro State in 2006, I had no idea the impact the college would have on me and how much it would continue to influence my life. I gained an incredible amount of insight into diversity, higher education processes, and student development. Much of the insight I attained during my classes but a considerable amount I attained by working for the college as a student employee at the Career Services Office. The Career Services Office provided me with many opportunities to improve my professional skills, identify my career goals, and develop self-awareness. I worked primarily as the Employer Relations Assistant
during this time, but I built skills that prepared me for the start of the rest of my career.

The path to attaining my first position after graduating from Metro was rough. Although I felt prepared with the knowledge I gained and the skills I developed, I felt very discouraged with the tough job market. After graduating, I was unemployed for nine months, which compared to others, is not as long, but after working so hard to earn a degree, it felt very disconcerting. It was the work experience and connections I made at the Career Services that eventually helped me land my first position out of college. My former supervisor informed me of a position that I was qualified for and was in the exact field I wanted to get into. Ultimately, I got the job.

The transition from college to full-time work is not something you can prepare for entirely, but with the help of student services offices such as Career Services I was able to attain the exact job I was looking for. I believe firmly that it is important to utilize the Career Services Office while in school and as an alumnus/a so that one can handle the major transition with ease. With the knowledge the staff has, their unconditional support, and their infectious optimism, I was able to achieve what I set out to do upon graduation. I have utilized all the skills I learned, the connections I made, and the confidence I gained while working at Career Services in my new position, and only hope to give back what Metro State and its Career Services Office gave to me.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment