Monday, January 18, 2010

Inspired by Martin Luther King Jr.

The good neighbor looks beyond the external accidents and discerns those inner qualities that make all men human and, therefore, brothers. –Martin Luther King Jr.

When I started my job not quite two months ago, I was struck by and thrilled to discover the wide variety of people on the Auraria campus and within the departments at Metropolitan State College of Denver. Powerful, confident, and bright people of color, of different sexual orientation, and of all ages abound. I grew up in a bi-racial family in the DC area and then traveled extensively in my twenties, and so have often been exposed to the great diversity of humanity. In my opinion, creativity and stimulation ensues when people with distinct characteristics and qualities are brought together. I am thankful that I work for a place that promotes and awards diversity.
-Lizzy Scully
Social Engagement Manager, Alumni Relations

An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity.--MLK


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment