Thursday, February 4, 2010

Susanne Brent Reflects on Alumni Night in Phoenix

Excerpt taken from The Metropolitan.

On a mild and clear Arizona winter night in January, a fire danced in the outdoor fireplace, white lights graced the tree branches, and the moon smiled down upon a small group of fellow Metropolitan State alumni gathered to dine together.

In 1986, I graduated with a journalism degree from Metro State and moved to Arizona to work as a reporter. This dinner was the first alumni event I’d attended, and I felt excited for the opportunity to connect with fellow Metro alumni living in the Southwest.

President Stephen Jordan spoke about developments and changes at Metro State: planned graduate schools, new construction and innovative methods for student retention.

I noted how successful we all looked in our professional attire, teacher, banker, insurance adjuster, former city councilmen, and myself, a journalist. Yet, at one time, we were no different than the Metro students of today.

Placed at each table, and much to my delight, was a copy of The Metropolitan. I felt as if I were seeing a cherished, old friend again. I proudly told everyone, including Dr. Jordan, how thrilled I felt when I had my first news article published.

When I started Metro in 1982, I had been out of high school for several years. I had marginal high school grades, no scholarships or academic awards, no teacher recommendations, and no one in my family had attended college before me. Yet, I was accepted and given the chance to embark upon a college education.

To read the full letter to the editor, please visit The Metropolitan.


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment