Friday, July 23, 2010

MERGE featured artist of the week, Adesola Owolabi

Adesola Owolabi is this Friday’s featured MERGE artist. Owolabi graduated just last year, after changing her major from computer information systems to art, with an emphasis on ceramics. We caught up with her both by email and at the grand opening event. Check out the video of her talking about the piece she submitted to MERGE and why she love Metro State.

Metro State: How do you characterize your art?
Adesola Owolabi: Symbolic

MS: Tell me about your latest work and why you are inspired by it.
AO: My new series title “Ifesowapo” is inspired by my relationship with everyone around me.

MS: In what ways did your Metro State Professors influence your works?
AO: Tsehai Johnson and Kathleen Royster-Lamb’s encouragement and the persistent push to take my work to the next level really gave me high hope in everything I do. Also, my interning with Tsehai while I was at school was an eye opener to the art world.

MS: How has your work evolved since you graduated?
AO: I have so much time now for proper planning and layout before anything is executed and have been leaning more towards sculptural rather than functional.

MS: Tell me why you submitted the piece you did for MERGE.
AO: I submitted the piece because it was my latest best and one of my largest.

MS: How do you feel about this opportunity to present your work for Metro State’s new CVA facility?
AO: I feel honored to be part of the Metro Art Community and Metro State at large

MS: Is there anything I am not asking you that you want to share with me?
AO: I missed living in Colorado, but it's always going to be home too.

Read more about Owolabi on the Metro State Web site or by checking out the 9News piece in which she was featured.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment